RE: (erielack) Fw: Erie FA's in early EL freight paint

>I am looking for some painting assistance with a brace of Alco FA/FB-1's. I
>want to paint the models in the early EL freight scheme of black and yellow
>and I have a few questions. In the majority of published photos I've seen
>the units are not lettered, but they sport the EL diamond in yellow on the
>sides and in black on the nose. Were these units, when originally painted,
>given the yellow railroad roman ERIE-LACKAWANNA on the sides, same as can
>be seen on the EMD F's or the RS's for that matter, or were they given only
>the diamond ? Any assistance that you fellows could provide along with
>additional information would be most appreciated. Thanks.
>Matt Forsyth

Matt,

	I personally have NEVER seen an FA or FB in the black freight scheme with
ERIE LACKAWANNA spelled out on its flanks (and believe me, I've been
cataloging these paint variations, so something that out-of-the-ordinary
would stick in my mind!). Apparently, only a few of the EMD F's received the
lettering on the freight scheme. Actually, the lettering appeared on the
ex-Erie units that had the large ERIE LACKAWANNA decal placed on the side
(the one with the bounding rectangle around the lettering). Only a few units
received the smaller Roman yellow lettering on its sides - this seemed to be
an earlier variation before it was decided to go with simply the diamond on
the sides. Full roadnames returned with the maroon/gray scheme standard.
	Of course, there are always exceptions to these rules, and with my luck,
I'll have pie in my face when someone sends me photos contradicting these
statements! To be safe, though, I'd go with simply the diamonds on the
sides. George Elwood's web site has lots of good EL FA/FB photos in the
black scheme, and are a good starting point as a lettering and painting
reference - his page is at http://www.dnaco.net/~gelwood