RE: (erielack) Preservation of former EL equipment.

>I've followed what this group has done for some time, they've been aquiring
>equipment for a long time (how many people can brag of having a U30C
>anymore?).  Of 19 locomotive models on RDG in 1976, with 2 groups still in
>full service, of the remaining 17 types examples of at least 9 are
>preserved; of those 3 models are types that would otherwise now be tunafish
>cans or Japanese cars :-)  As for the other 8 types, only 2 are gone
>entirely.   I'd say it's a model for anyone interested in preservation
>dedicated to a specific railroad - they don't own all 9 types of engine,
>but all can be found within a reasonable distance.   I don't think it would
>be possible to do this well with any other road.

I'm not sure how true this is, but I've heard from others that this group
also has "well-placed friends." Many people seem to have a hard time getting
stuff from Conrail, but the RDG group seemed to be able to acquire the units
they needed. They must also have generous members - a large portion of their
equipment needed to be purchase, a tremendous capital outlay. Being an
active member of a railway museum, I can attest to the fact that "money
don't come easy!"

Regardless, the RDG group has done a tremendous job in preserving an
important part of history, and should be commended on their work. Everytime
I stop by their Leesport "temporary" museum, there are always members there
working on equipment. Bravo!

	- Paul

 - -