Original: 1600 by 1200 pixels - Current: 1600 by 1200 - 100%
Try your mouse wheel too!
From: "Norm Pascal" appleglen -AT- shaw -DOT- ca Date: Wed May 4 19:26:04 2011 Subject: This is the International Train Station Depot from Coutts/Sweetgrass. Originally built in 1890 by Sir Alexander Galt and his son Elliott Galt (partners in a consortium of investors from Canada, England and the United States). It straddled the Canada (Coutts, Alberta)– United States (Sweetgrass, Montana) border from 1890 to 1915. The International Border ran through the waiting / dining room. The Telegrapher and Station Agent worked in the centre section. It was one of only two "Lunch Stations" along the railway line which ran from Lethbridge, Alberta to Great Falls, Montana. Around 1915, the northern part of the station was moved across the border to Coutts, where it was used by the Canadian Pacific Railway until the closing in the late 1960's. In 2000 the station was bought by the Great Canadian Plains Railway Society and moved to an 35-acre site, 1 kilometre (0.62 mi) north of Stirling, AB, where it has been completely restored. Check the Galt Historic Railway Park website for hours of operation. image/jpeg, 1600x1200 (24bit)