Original: 1272 by 848 pixels - Current: 1272 by 848 - 100%
Try your mouse wheel too!
From: "Chuck Barnard" chuck6041 -AT- yahoo -DOT- com Date: Fri Nov 24 02:37:13 2006 Subject: This photo was taken behind the Genesee County Fairgrounds just west of the city of Batavia, NY. The rail line that runs upper right to lower left is the former Canandaigua-Niagara Falls Railroad. The NY Central R.R. took control of this line around 1855 known as the "Peanut" line. The line lasted until late 60s/early 70s most of the line has been removed in western NY. This part of the line is used as a spur off of C.S.X. mainline mp 402 in Batavia to reach the former Lehigh Valley's former double track mainline, the track coming down from the upper left of the photo. Originally the LV crossed over the "Peanut" on a bridge without the connection. The abutments on the right are from that bridge. Conrail re-graded part of the LV down to the "Peanut" level to serve it's customers still on the LV line. Today G. V. T. / D. L. & W operates/owns this spur one of two they service in Batavia. image/jpeg, 1272x848 (24bit)