(rshsdepot) CNE Tour update. 11

We have already started exploring routing and transportation options for next years tour.  Most of you are probably aware that we were forced to use school buses for the last tour.   Reservations were slow and we simply did not have enough money in the bank to pay for the bigger buses.  This did have a bright side however.  The smaller lower buses allowed us to go under several low bridges and stay closer to the rail lines.  We are looking into several different options on bus facilities and pricing which could allow better transportation for future tours while keeping the cost down in a reasonable range.

To date we have pretty much covered the CNE from Hartford to Maybrook except for some short branches.   The opinions we heard from a number of our regular railfans was that we should start over at the east end where it all began 8 years ago.   To that end, we have done one scouting trip with Joe and Rose Mato, Karl Steig, Bill Curtiss, Mike Richards and George Ford.  We explored the Springfield branch from Tariffville to Agawam  and discussed possible routing from Hartford west to Winsted.    This is a good beginning toward organizing next years tour.  We will continue the research and collect photos etc and eventually arrive at a firm plan.  Meanwhile if you have any photos and/or stories to share about that area just let us know.  I still have my copies of the two previous tours done by Phil Lechak to use as a base for updating.   I will keep you posted on any new developments.

There is a bit of news about the big Poughkeepsie bridge which was on our 2008 tour.  The Walkway group has scheduled the grand opening for the weekend of October 3 and 4.   There will be a big celebration including the governor and many prominent guests.  This will be in conjunction with the 400 year celebration of Henry Hudson sailing up the river and the 200 years celebration of Fulton's steamboat sailing on the river.    In conjunction with the list of events, Marist College has been collecting railroad and bridge history for the archives.   I was invited to do some video for that project and part of that video is now on the internet.  About 6 minutes of my video is in the construction section of the web site.   You can check it out here.

 http://www.albany.edu/~pc171142/

You can find more information about the bridge and the celebration at the Walkway web site.

http://www.walkway.org/

More later

Bernie Rudberg