(rshsdepot) Kendrick, ID

From the Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

Bernie Wagenblast

City Council rejects another attempt to save old depot

KENDRICK - Efforts to save the Kendrick Depot were  dealt another setback
Monday, when the town's City Council rejected the J-K  Heritage Foundation's
efforts to negotiate an agreement to buy the building and  lease the land.

After initially approving the building's removal in January, Mayor Dale
Lisher began accepting bids to tear the building down and sell off the  lumber.

The city received one bid of $50 to tear the century-old building down
during the bid openings at the Feb. 23 council meeting. The J-K Heritage
Foundation then offered $5,000 for the building and to lease the city-owned land  for
50 years at a cost of $1 per year.

The issue was tabled for further discussion at Monday's meeting, but the
group's attempts at negotiating a lease were ultimately thwarted.

"We begged the council to change their minds, but they already made them
up," foundation member Sharon Harris said. "They made a decision once, and
they're not going to back out of it."

The major issue stems from the two sides' differing opinions over the
building's condition and the cost of restoration. Lisher and the council say the
building would need a new foundation, which would be costly, while the group
claims only a rotted-out beam needs be repaired to support the existing  piers.

The city plans to clear the space and use it to expand the nearby RV  park.

Harris said despite the decision her group is not ready to give up just  yet.

"It's not the end until it's the end," she said. "There are always some
things that can be done, and we will probably do them. It's kind of unknown  right
now."

Lisher said the winning bidder, Brad Dammerman of Bovill, will now be
notified that his bid was accepted and will have 90 days to tear down the  building.

However Lisher isn't convinced that the issue is finally over.

"I'm sorry that people have hard feelings over this," he said. "We're going
to say it's dead but to them it probably isn't. I'm sure they're still going
to  try and interfere and I guess it's their right to do so."
steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219671244x1201345076/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID
%3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)