(rshsdepot) Ohio Depot Tours

A warm-up for the RSHS tours...

  The W&LE was a major interchange partner with the Erie at Kent and Creston, Ohio, because the Erie was the only trunk road that didn't compete with the Wheeling, and because they were both owned at one time by the van Sweringen brothers. The Erie ran time freights from Youngstown (later Meadville) to Toledo with the Wheeling. Later leased by the Nickle Plate, it was then affiliated with the Lackawanna.

  The first activity of 2007 will be a short meeting Saturday April 14 in the former W&LE depot in Glenwillow, Ohio (known on the Wheeling as Falls Junction), followed by a tour of the depot and freight shed. The station, built in 1883 and owned by the Midwest Railway Preservation Society, is undergoing restoration.

  During the meeting, we will discuss what activities you would be most interested in attending. If you cannot make the meeting, an email questionnaire will be available.

  From there we travel about 4 miles up the road to Bedford, Ohio and tour the Bedford Historical Society's 1882 station, both built by W&LE predecessor Connotton Valley.

  Within walking distance of the Bedford depot, check out Al's Train and Hobby, the railroad bridge still lettered for the original W&LE, and the busy Norfolk Southern Pittsburgh-Chicago mainline. For the out-of-towners wanting to make a day of it, Berea (one of the best train watching places in the US) is a half hour away.

  Meet at Glenwillow at 10:00am, simply turn east off of I-271/I-480 on Alexander Road and watch for the railroad tracks. We plan on being at Bedford shortly after 11:00am.

  As per W&LE HS policy, membership is not required to attend any activity.

Jim Dent
Oakland, NJ