Re: (rshsdepot) Re: RSHSDepot Digest V1 #1517

- ----- Original Message -----
From: <colinhrdng_@_aol.com>
To: <rshsdepot_@_lists.railfan.net>
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2007 3:59 PM
Subject: (rshsdepot) Re: RSHSDepot Digest V1 #1517

> Hi Jim:
>
> I grew up in Walpole, MA and we had a union station - still there and still used - built in 1885. Served two railroads: New
> Haven & Old Colony railroads. Think last Old Colony passenger service stopped in the mid-1930s. Spent many hours there.
> Official name is still Walpole Union Station.
>
> Cheers, Colin Harding
> Fairfax Station, VA

Actually, Colin, the station in Walpole was originally served by the
New Bedford RR which ran north/south from NB to Framingham
via Walpole. The OC took control of the NBRR in 1879, and was
itself taken over by the New Haven in 1893. Passenger service on
this line was terminated by the NH in 1955.

The east/west line had an even more interesting history. It was originally
the Norfolk Central and ran to Blackstone. It later became the Boston
& New York Central; the Boston, Hartford, & Erie; the New York &
New England; and finally, it was taken over by the New Haven in 1898.
Commuter service from Boston as far as Blackstone was terminated by
the NH  in 1966.

Jim.