Re: (rshsdepot) Major RR Terminals in the US before 1900

Wait a minnit...

The Boston & Providence operated between those two communities until ca. 1905 when the new South Station opened in Bahston and when the NYNH&H took over those routes.

The Old Colony operated between Bahston and the south shore (the Buzz Bay, Wood's Hole, Hyannis) until the NYNH&H took over those routes.

The OC  also operated a line to East Providence and not quite to where the now-abandoned Seekonk River Draw (SS-151 in NYNY&H nomenclature) is located. "SS" was short for "Signal Station."

The route from Valley Falls to Red Bridge also existed then, but I don't know when it was built. That line and the mainline cutoff from East Junction met at Red Bridge, then continued on to SS-151 where the line diverged to East Side Tunnel and also continued southerly to Bristol, R.I.

East Tunnel opened in 1908, if one is to believe the date cast into the top of the western portal under Benefit Street. It may be impossible to see now with that steel fence blocking it off.

I recall reading a Providence Journal article (on microfiche) from that era. It was considered to be a political boondoggle.

That double-track line was my playground when I was a kid, ca. 1950.

Albest,

Leo

Subject: Re: (rshsdepot) Major RR Terminals in the US before 1900