Re: (rshsdepot) Major RR Terminals in the US before 1900

New haven is a terminal for electric or was, it is terminal for commuter trains on some routes...I don't think Cleveland is a terminal but it is called one, there are more than one definition for a terminal....Santa Cruz was last stop on passenger schedule but is just a small depot, hardly usually called a terminal..

But if we define terminal as any big station, then why stop at new Haven, throw in Hartford, Springfield, Northampton, Canaan, Torrington, every station still standing or once demolished..which is ok with me, so I guess the question must be fine tuned...what was meant by terminal...harrisbur was terminal in some ways, as was Albany, but here the definition might be hub station or union terminal perhaps?

Penn Station in Manhattan was a terminal for almost all trains except the through trains using the Hells Gate Bridge, so it is/was a terminal. Stamford is last stop for some trains but isn't a terminal. The station in Palo Alto was terminal for the interurban line (but is post-1900)

Define "terminal"