(rshsdepot) A Message from South Platte Press

- -------- Original Message --------
Subject: A Message from South Platte Press
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 22:19:29 -0500
From: Jim Reisdorff <railroads_@_alltel.net>

Dear South Platte Press Customers:

The host for the South Platte Press website has gone out of business,
and as a result, we have temporarily lost control over our
southplattepress.com domain. In the meantime, the South Platte Press
website may be accessed at the following address:

http://www.southplattepress.net/

The site is fully functional as before, and we hope to regain our
".com" name again soon.

Plus, check out our latest title:

NORTH PLATTE CANTEEN (Sixth Printing)
by James J. Reisdorff

Just 10 days after Pearl Harbor, the residents of North Platte, Neb.,
learned that their own Company D, Nebraska National Guard, which had
been training in Arkansas, was going to pass through the city en route
to the West Coast. About 500 family members and friends hurried to the
Union Pacific Railroad station with cookies, candy, cakes and
cigarettes. After a long wait, a troop train rumbled into the station
- -- a unit from the Kansas National Guard. The residents were
disappointed until someone in the crowd said, "Well, what are we
waiting for? Welcome to our city, sons, and here's a little something
for you." They then passed out to these boys the gifts they had
arranged for their own.

This was the beginning of the North Platte Canteen. Every day, from
3,000 to 5,000 soldiers, sailors and marines visited the North Platte
Canteen in the Union Pacific station. During a 10-minute stop, they
were supplied with coffee, sandwiches and cigarettes, given a handful
of current magazines and sent on their way, warmed not only by the hot
coffee but by the smiles and friendly greetings of the busy canteen
workers. North Platte Canteen highlights what still persists as one of
the most endearing examples of gratitude expressed toward those who
have served in America's defense.

This updated edition features a new cover and a new foreword detailing
recent events regarding the Canteen.

Ordering information is here:

http://www.southplattepress.net/current/canteen.html

* * *

Thanks for your support of South Platte Press, and help spread the word
about the new address.

This email was sent to: jdent1_@_optonline.net

http://www.topica.com/?p=TEXFOOTER

- --