the Milwaukee Road.  I can't think of any others left in the US.
Seattle?

J. Kelling, PRRTHS and RSHS

>>> jdent1_@_optonline.net 1/16/2007 2:14 PM >>>
A question was posed on the R&LHS list that maybe someone here can
answer...

6. Harrisburg train shed (s)
    Posted by: "RusCDavies_@_aol.com" RusCDavies@aol.com
    Date: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:05 am ((PST))

August Group, some questions about the train shed

Is it the only classic train shed in the US still serving passenger
trains?
Realize there are some Bush Train Sheds serving, Hoboken and Chicago's
North
Western, perhaps others. But I'm referring to a REAL train shed (is
there a
proper term for this multiple track type?)

There are some others surviving, but no trains. Nashville, Minneapolis
(Milw
Rd), Montgomery, and St. Louis (a couple of tracks survive, but for
display)

More re. Harrisburg. There's a wonderful image, ca. 1887, in the book

"Traveling the Pennsylvania Railroad, The Photographs of William H.
Rau." In  this
image it was a single shed. Today, and in all other images I've seen,
it's  a
double shed, i.e., two peaked sheds. Does anyone know when it was
changed, or
perhaps modified? Rau's image, with the station structure at the left,

includes  multiple uncovered tracks with passenger cars on them to the
right. Perhaps
the  second shed was added later so there'd be more serviceable, under
cover
tracks?

Related question. When was Harrisburg's Reading depot razed, and when
did  it
last serve passenger trains?

Thanks

Russ Davies