Re: (rshsdepot) West Oakland, CA

- --On Monday, March 27, 2006 1:58 PM -0500 luckyshow_@_mindspring.com wrote:

> why is this being called West Oakland? wasn't it just Oakland?
>
> I was thinking they were going to talk about some Keyes System structure

20 years ago there were remnants of an old Key System interurban station &
transfer facility that was being used by the bus system , AC Transit.  It was a
stop that many of the lettered bus routes (A from Oakland, F from Berkeley)
made on their way across the Bay Bridge, following the same routes that the
interurbans until ca. 1960.  This was sort of on the border between Oakland and
Emeryville.

Of course, the station in the story that was forwarded to the list had for many
years been known as SP's 16th Street Station, the main Oakland station at least
after the discontinuance of the ferrys, and was closed after the earthquake in
the late 80s.

- --Mark

[...]