(rshsdepot) Morton, PA - Morton Station Preservation Committee Mtg. 2/24

From: "Morton Station Preservation Committee" <info_@_mortonstation.org>
Subject: Morton, PA - Morton Station Preservation Committee Mtg. 2/24
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 01:29:20 -0500

The Morton Station Preservation Committee cordially invites the public to our next regular meeting on Thursday, February 24, 2005 at 7:30 PM in the Meeting Room of Morton Borough Hall, Highland Avenue and Alfa Terrace, in Morton.

The Morton Station Preservation Committee has been formed to ensure the long-term preservation of the ex-PRR Morton train station complex, which is believed to be the only suburban railroad complex in the Philadelphia region which retains all three traditional structures, including the 1880 passenger station, 1879 freight station, and 1892 westbound passenger shelter. The westbound shelter is currently threatened with demolition. Our committee is currently working on a plan to save the westbound passenger shelter as part of an overall preservation plan for the station complex.

Our effort has been endorsed by the National Trust for Historic Preservation, the nation's foremost private historic preservation organization, in recognition of the rarity of our completely intact nineteenth century station complex.

More information about our effort can be obtained at our website, www.mortonstation.org , by sending an e-mail to info_@_mortonstation.org , or by writing to Morton Station Preservation Committee, 175 Bridge Street, Morton, PA 19070-2002.

At the next meeting on February 24, an update on the status of our effort will be provided and committees will be formed to address the various aspects of out effort. Help is needed in areas including publicity, fundraising, engineering, and with our overall preservation plan.

Directions to Morton Borough Hall are as follows: From the Ridley area (Route 420 northbound), make a right at the SEPTA railroad tracks onto Morton Avenue. At the first stop sign, make the soft right onto Alfa Terrace. Make a left at the first stop sign on to Highland Avenue. The Borough Hall parking lot is just ahead on the left. From the Springfield area (Route 420 southbound) make a left onto Morton Avenue at the railroad tracks and follow the above directions.

End of RSHSDepot Digest V1 #1087