From: "RSHSDepot Digest" <rshsdepot-owner_@_lists.Railfan.net>
To: <rshsdepot-digest_@_lists.Railfan.net>
Sent: Friday, February 11, 2005 5:34 AM
Subject: RSHSDepot Digest V1 #1082

> RSHSDepot Digest      Friday, February 11 2005      Volume 01 : Number
1082

> Subjects:
>
> (rshsdepot) Loris, SC
> (rshsdepot) D.L.& W. Monroe Station
> (rshsdepot) Dover, NJ
> (rshsdepot) RR hotel Nashville, TN
> Re: (rshsdepot) RR hotel Nashville, TN
> Re: Re: (rshsdepot) RR hotel Nashville, TN
> RE: (rshsdepot) RR hotel Nashville, TN
> Re: Re: (rshsdepot) RR hotel Nashville, TN
> Re: (rshsdepot) RR hotel Nashville, TN
> Re: Re: (rshsdepot) RR hotel Nashville, TN
> Re: Re: (rshsdepot) RR hotel Nashville, TN

> From Archives_@_Railfan.net
> Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 06:42:57 -0500
> From: "Bernie Wagenblast" <brwagenblast_@_comcast.net>
> Subject: (rshsdepot) Loris, SC
>
> From yesterday's Sun News.
>

> Bernie Wagenblast
> Transportation Communications Newsletter
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications

++

> Train Depot Relocation Steams Ahead in Loris
>
> Feb. 9--LORIS -- Even though it's been slow going, the relocation of the
> city's train depot to the down town area is on track, organizers said.
> Nearly two years ago, Loris Civitan Club members organized to move the
> historical depot to a central location in town and restore it as a museum.
> The land was secured through a lease with the city and the depot donated
by
> its current owner from his tobacco, soybean and corn farm just outside of
> town.
>
> No outward visible signs of the progress are available, but Frank
McIntosh,
> club co-chairman of the committee to restore the depot, said drawings for
> the site plan are nearly complete.
>
> "It's moving along silently and with behind-the-scenes-type stuff,"
McIntosh
> said.
>
> "Before we can really move that thing, we have to have a site plan. We'll
> have to build a foundation first; and before we can build the foundation,
we
> have to know what the building is going to look like." The building will
be
> moved to a plot near City Hall, and the project joins the ranks of other
> depot renovation projects including one in Myrtle Beach where organizers
> restored the 1937 city depot.
>
> S.F. Horton, a charter member of the Loris Civitan Club, donated the depot
> after club members voted in April 2003 to build a city museum and decided
> the old depot building would be perfect to house it. At that time, Horton
> said he bought the building soon after purchasing his farm in 1952. He
paid
> $400 for the building and $400 for it to be moved to his farm off Red
Bluff
> Road.
>
> Some officials think the depot was built in the early 1900s, probably
about
> the time Loris incorporated in 1902 and was often called the Gate City,
> which referred to its being the first town on the railroad south of North
> Carolina.
>
> "We are doing it to give a focal point for Loris and to give people a
reason
> to come and visit Loris," said Joyce Sammons, club president. "We are also
> doing it for our community, our children this our heritage." Officials
hope
> to move the depot later this year, but that will take much coordination to
> lower electricity, telephone and cable lines to bring the building into
> town.
>
> "There's a lot more to moving a building than people would think,"
McIntosh
> [...]
> County grand jury with four counts each of burglary, theft and criminal
> mischief.
>
> The charges allege that Ludwig broke into the supper club between Dec. 8
> and Dec. 10, 2003, on Dec. 24, 2003, and on May 31 and June 19, 2004. On
> all four occasions, he stole more than $200 worth of items that included
> whiskey, wine, non-perishable food, and disc jockey equipment, according
> to an arrest complaint.
>
> He allegedly damaged the building each time, sometimes by prying open
> doors, or throwing large rocks through windows.
>
> Morris County Assistant Prosecutor Erin Smith-Wisloff said that although
> the eatery within the train station in Dover has been closed for business
> since 2002, inventory was still kept inside that Ludwig helped himself to.
> He originally had told police he conspired to burglarize the restaurant
> with a person named "Matt," but such a person never was identified,
> Smith-Wisloff said.
>
> Restaurateur Ken Comer had been running the club since 1994 under the name
> Ken's Trackside, and sub-leased the space from the town of Dover, which
> had its own lease for the NJ Transit station.
>
> Comer and the town got into a legal dispute when he started withholding
> his $2,045-per-month rent, saying he was forced to shut down in November
> 2002 because the town was not maintaining the building.
>
> A Superior Court judge in October 2003 ordered the town to replace the
> rain-damaged roof of the train station and fix rotting and bulging walls.
>
> Dover Administrator Paul McDougall said that despite the ruling, the issue
> has not been resolved with Comer, who could not be reached Wednesday and
> has never re-opened the club.
>
> McDougall said that Comer is interested in selling the restaurant, and the
> town, to encourage the sale, contributed money toward paying off a lien he
> owed so he would not lose his liquor license for the restaurant.
>
> Peggy Wright can be reached at pwright_@_gannett.com or (973) 267-1142.
>
> =====
> Gary R. Kazin
> DL&W Milepost R35.7
> Rockaway, New Jersey
>
> http://www.geocities.com/gkazin/index.html

> http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
>
> =================================
> The Railroad Station Historical Society maintains a database of existing
> railroad structures at: http://www.rrshs.org
>
> ------------------------------
>

> From Archives_@_Railfan.net
> Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 17:36:47 -0500
> From: jdent1_@_optonline.net
> Subject: (rshsdepot) RR hotel Nashville, TN
>
> From another list...
>
>  Hi RR Hotel Aficionados:
>
> A few years back I taught a class in Nashville, TN. This state  capital
may
> have the "Grand Ole Opry" but it was no Amtrak station.  However
> the former L&N  station, a grand old stone building, is now a hotel.  You
sign in at what I  assume used to be the ticket counter and the last train
schedule  board is still in place.  But the surprising thing is that the
architect for this
> grand old building was not a member of the AIA but the Chief Engineer of
the
> L&N!  And below the State Capitol is a WWII memorial mall across one end
of  which was built one of the most esthetic railroad bridges that I've ever
seen.  It is double  tracked and is used by CSX.  The mall also features a
huge granite  model of the Earth.  It floats on a film of water and can be
moved by hand.  Note also the map of Tennessee with all of the rivers and
some of the railroads shown.
> So there are two points of interest to see in Nashville besides the Grand
Ole  Opry!  But do not expect to go there by train!

>  Vern Waight
>

> =================================
> The Railroad Station Historical Society maintains a database of existing
> railroad structures at: http://www.rrshs.org
>
> ------------------------------
>

> From Archives_@_Railfan.net
> Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:02:46 EST
> From: Ireenactcw_@_aol.com
> Subject: Re: (rshsdepot) RR hotel Nashville, TN
>

> What would the name or the location of this "train hotel" be? I  go down
> Nashville every year and would like to check it out next time.  Thanks.
>
> David Kibitlewski
> 116 Glenwood Dr.
> Round Lake Beach,  IL  60073-2926
>

> =================================
> The Railroad Station Historical Society maintains a database of existing
> railroad structures at: http://www.rrshs.org
>
> ------------------------------
>

> From Archives_@_Railfan.net
> Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 19:09:10 -0600
> From: "Ken Currie" <currieken_@_comcast.net>
> Subject: Re: Re: (rshsdepot) RR hotel Nashville, TN
>
> It's the Chattanooga Choo Choo Holiday in Chattanooga, located in the old
> railroad terminal.  Their website is
> http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c/1/en/hd/chaoo

SGVsbG8gZnJvbSBOYXNodmlsbGUhIFlvdSBhcmUgcmVmZXJyaW5nIHRvIFVuaW9uIFN0YXRpb24g

SG90ZWwuIEl0IGlzIGJlYXV0aWZ1bCEhISENCg0KCS0tLS0tT3JpZ2luYWwgTWVzc2FnZS0tLS0t

IA0KCUZyb206IHJzaHNkZXBvdC1vd25lckBsaXN0cy5yYWlsZmFuLm5ldCBvbiBiZWhhbGYgb2Yg

SXJlZW5hY3Rjd0Bhb2wuY29tIA0KCVNlbnQ6IFRodSAyLzEwLzIwMDUgNjowMiBQTSANCglUbzog

cnNoc2RlcG90QGxpc3RzLnJhaWxmYW4ubmV0IA0KCUNjOiANCglTdWJqZWN0OiBSZTogKHJzaHNk

ZXBvdCkgUlIgaG90ZWwgTmFzaHZpbGxlLCBUTg0KCQ0KCQ0KDQoJICAgIA0KCQ0KCVdoYXQgd291

bGQgdGhlIG5hbWUgb3IgdGhlIGxvY2F0aW9uIG9mIHRoaXMgInRyYWluIGhvdGVsIiBiZT8gSSAg

Z28gZG93biB0bw0KCU5hc2h2aWxsZSBldmVyeSB5ZWFyIGFuZCB3b3VsZCBsaWtlIHRvIGNoZWNr

IGl0IG91dCBuZXh0IHRpbWUuICBUaGFua3MuDQoJDQoJRGF2aWQgS2liaXRsZXdza2kNCgkxMTYg

R2xlbndvb2QgRHIuDQoJUm91bmQgTGFrZSBCZWFjaCwgIElMICA2MDA3My0yOTI2DQoJDQoJDQoJ

DQoJPT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09DQoJVGhlIFJhaWxyb2FkIFN0YXRp

b24gSGlzdG9yaWNhbCBTb2NpZXR5IG1haW50YWlucyBhIGRhdGFiYXNlIG9mIGV4aXN0aW5nDQoJ
> cmFpbHJvYWQgc3RydWN0dXJlcyBhdDogaHR0cDovL3d3dy5ycnNocy5vcmcNCgkNCgkNCg0K
>
> =================================
> The Railroad Station Historical Society maintains a database of existing
> railroad structures at: http://www.rrshs.org

> From Archives_@_Railfan.net
> Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:05:33 -0500
> From: "Paul Luchter" <luckyshow_@_mindspring.com>
> Subject: Re: Re: (rshsdepot) RR hotel Nashville, TN
>
> Aren't the sheds out back falling apart or something?

polar opposite, was in aesthetic realms. No matter how
> overdone a Beaux Art structure may seem to some, it always "makes sense",
it is not massively oversized and also Stalinist art was