(rshsdepot) Punta Gorda, FL

http://www.sun-herald.com/NewsArchive2/100604/tp14ch21.htm?date=100604&story=tp14ch21.htm
10/06/04
Punta Gorda Herald

Historical Society scrambles to repair its buildings

Hurricane Charley and its imitators took a serious toll on Punta Gorda's historical buildings, and those belonging to the Punta Gorda Historical Society were no exception.

Society President Bob Parker was in the Woman's Club on Sullivan Street the week before Hurricane Jeanne surveying damage and trying to do minor repairs, and the building, though still structurally sound, showed evidence of Charley's brief but violent visit to downtown Punta Gorda.

"A 6-foot section of the roof collapsed," said Parker, pointing to a large hole where light shone through a blue tarp through to the interior, "and the floor is gone because we couldn't keep the roof covered."

The pine floors are covered with pools of standing water and are buckled in some places where the wood absorbed water and expanded.

Parker said the insurance company estimated damage at $100,000 and the society's inspector assessed it at $129,000. Aside from the structure itself, many of the fixtures are OK. "We still have three of the original cast iron ceiling fans. It takes three people to lift them. They need to be rewound and reworked," said Parker.

The society was in the process of acquiring a state grant to modernize the structure before Charley, and Parker is optimistic that the grant will be approved. "The grant was supposed to be heard in Tallahassee yesterday, but we put it off until Nov. 15. The original grant was for $225,000, but the new request is lower (to reflect the insurance proceeds). I have a very positive feeling about it," Parker said. The society board of directors has already authorized the repairs, and Pete Taylor Construction will be the contractor.

Meanwhile, Parker said, "We're trying to keep mold out of the building. We're looking for temporary help to get the ceilings and walls removed."

Parker estimates it will take nine months to a year to get the Woman's Club restored. "We're just set back on our timetable," he said.

The society's Railroad Depot over on Taylor Street survived with only minor damage, according to Parker. "Parts of the roof deck in the back are gone and have to be replaced," he said, "but we're very hopeful about it."

According to Parker, the Gilchrist Bed & Breakfast, which, as reported in last week's Herald, is being prepared for a move from its current location to the group's History Park on Shreve Street, did remarkably well compared to most of the other old structures in the historic district. It is mostly undamaged and will soon be moved to a temporary location in the park while the group raises more funds to put it in a permanent location there. The B & B's carriage house is also OK, but the stable/barn, the last one of its kind in Punta Gorda, was demolished.

Over in the park itself, The Cigar Cottage barely withstood the storm. "One side and the roof is gone," said Parker. "Concealed termite damage was responsible."

Parker said the group has insurance to cover the damage and is counting on its skilled volunteers like George Gale and Rick Yondo (our best guys) to put it back together.

The Trabue house right next door, also insured, escaped relatively unscathed. "A pine tree fell on one side and smashed some of the structure underneath a wee bit," said Parker. "The writers (Peace River Center for Writers, which uses the building for an office and classroom) is going to try to fix it."

Parker believes the society needs the support of the community to fix the historic buildings and said, "We need volunteers as badly as money. We need a lot of help."

Skilled or unskilled, you can volunteer by calling Parker at 637-1445 or 276-1509.

E-mail Gordon Bower at pgherald_@_sun-herald.com.

By GORDON BOWER

Punta Gorda Herald Editor