(rshsdepot) Hornell, NY

From Hornell Evening Tribune, NY

City looking for railroad memorabilia
11/3/2003

By ROB MONTANA - Staff Writer
HORNELL - The City of Hornell is looking for a few good historical items - specifically railroad memorabilia.

The city has put out a request for railroad items such as equipment, pictures, models and other railroad-related memorabilia to be donated or loaned in anticipation of opening a local railroad history museum at the former Erie railroad depot in January.

The city is interested in Hornell railroad memorabilia, but also items from other areas that were involved with the Hornell railroad.

"Definitely the Hornell area is the most important, but anything railroad-related that could relate to Hornell as well would be accepted," said Heather Reynolds, city planner. "For example, companies that were in Hornell that shipped on the railroad, model cars that say Old Ranger beer, or companies that manufactured the trains that were used and came through Hornell."

Those interested in donating or loaning items to the museum should contact Reynolds at the city planning office by phone at (607) 324-7421 or by e-mail at hreynolds_@_infoblvd.net.

"All people need to do is contact me and we'll talk a little bit about what they have and if they have any special needs for items they wish to donate," said Reynolds. "We also have a pretty secure are at City Hall where we're keeping things, so if people have concerns about their items being stolen or abused, they can rest assured that won't happen."

Those who prefer to lend their memorabilia, as opposed to make a donation to the museum, are encouraged to call Reynolds before dropping their item off.

"That way we know what they have and I can get their contact information, so I can get a hold of them when we're ready to use their item," said Reynolds. "We know there are a lot of people out there interested in railroad items and donating things to the museum. Now that we're getting closer to opening the museum, we hope people are still interested in donating items."