Re: (rshsdepot) Question about L.I. Depot in Long Island City

Paul writes:

> I am a bit confused here...LIC and Hunterspoint Ave. (which is also in
LIC)
> are two different terminals (now) the Montauk cut-off does loop around,
but
> it seems to go from Hunterspoint Ave platforms to the ramps for the LIC
> Montauk division LIC terminal, they would have to back up...and in LIC
they
> would also need to reverse direction...was there really such a passenger
> train from LIC to Hunterspoint Ave (and why) and when did this one stop?

If you look at the current LIRR schedule, you'll see that several trains
stop at both stations. There's no backup move involved -- just two grade
crossings crossings. The Montauk Cutoff makes a "Wye" with the Main Line and
Montauk branch, but has never involved scheduled passenger trains (save some
Bay Ridge Branch service in the 1930s)

> And with all the back and forthing and switching onto different main lines
> no wonder it would take so long

No back and forth -- a straight shot. 0.6 miles end to end down the track
(much shorter -- perhaps 1700 feet in reality.

> Also the Cut-Off was electrified (and reverse direction run) but the
Montauk
> Division, are you saying it was electrified twice into LIC terminal,
because
> it isn't now..I guess Hunterspoint Ave might be, but don't (or didn't)
just
> diesel trains go to there too?..also by the time the double-deck trains
> appeared the ferry service was gone for quite some time...or do you mean
the
> new current double deckers and the current (well maybe it is still there I
> read it was ceasing again) ferry service?

NY Waterway operates to an East River pier a few blocks from the [curent]
LIC platform. One Ronkonkoma MU train originates in the LIC Yard (adjacent
to the platform tracks but not from a platform track) at 5:17 and departs
Hunterspoint at 5:29.  One LIC train each way runs over the Montauk -- all
the rest operate via Hunterspoint Avenue.

Having tried the ferry route when I was commuting from Smithtown a few years
ago -- I can assure you that I could be at Second Avenue and 34th Street a
half hour sooner by staying on the train to Penn Station and taking a
crosstown bus at 8 AM. Or about equal in time to Hunterspoint, subway to
GCT, and hike down to 34th & Second. Of course, NY Waterway was twice the
price of a subway fare.

Cheers,
Jim