Re: (rshsdepot) MTA Is Correcting Its Neglect of New York City LIRR Stations

I lived in Canarsie near the abandoned trolley right-of-way, I have fond
fond memories of those big old City Of New York riveted Canarsie trains with
the white wicker seats, the white poles and bars and gripper things, the big
center door (that they destroyed everyone of these three car four wheel
train sets...

I will always remember that certain Canarsie Line car smell unequaled in any
other subway car..and that amazing elevator, was it at Broadway Junction, I
was too young to know from that..

Then later we were in Laurelton, not far from the elevated LIRR where those
double-deckers dashed by...but I took the bus to Jamaica, and took the IND
not the Jamaica El..

In High School I am now in Oceanside near the non-descript East Rockaway
station, I rode the double deckers, there was this really cool car I loved
that seemed always to be on the train I took, a combination coach and
baggage car, when it was crowded you could stand in the back, I think the
conductor had to slide the door open before he lowered the steps (except at
Jamaica, Woodside and Penn Station)..real cool MU car I guess, I presume
they just scrapped it?

Paul

It was when I was in college I rode the subways all over..

...sometimes we would go to someplace in the Bronx or maybe Bensonhurst, go
to the movie theater there, see a double-feature of current movies from the
balcony. Even then, in pre-VCR times VHS-era, the audience was sparse; but I
was just as naÏve about these movie palaces actually being in their last
days before they would divide into 4 theaters or become furniture stores or
churches, as I was that they would put that Amtrak train in to Albany,
surely they would eventually take it to Buffalo..

My favorite subway lines to ride were the Culver shuttle and the remaining
3rd Avenue El in the Bronx (both of course gone) and of course the
Westchester & Boston (so to speak).....and of course the A train to the
Rockaways

yeah right, just as they put in the L.A. to Bakersfield missing piece in the
Valley train....

pardon my rub-on thoughts

Paul