(rshsdepot) The "Great GM Bus Conspiracy"--balderdash......

Seth Bramson said:

> "Third, unlike, I feel and believe, the slime who destroyed the NYC and
> PRR, PC and CONFAIL, the Vans were great builders and had the Depression
> not come along MIGHT have pulled off their dream of  a trans-continental
> RR.  Their belief in rail rapid transit and their future plans for it,
> might also have gone far and well in staving off the Borg of the
> highways, General Motors, which, of course, raped, robbed, looted,
> pillaged and burned every rail transit system that they possibly could
> in order to besmirch our cities and towns with their pollution belching
> and inferior road monsters.  But that's another story for another list
> at another time.  ( : > ))."

I just spent much of yesterday (at someone else's request) gunning down a
bunch of what I would loosely term "anti-capitalism" websites that wave the
alleged "GM Conspiracy" as "proof" of the evils of Big Business.  One site
even brought up the old chestnut that GM "blackmailed" the railroads into
buying diesels--an accusation based on horribly flimsy, very selective, and
slanted analysis that I termed a "witch hunt".

http://www.quicktopic.com/boing/H/szwX2J6mQPYfm  has the best presentation
of the evidence refuting this "urban legend", including links to websites
listing the evidence against the arguments.

Yes, this is off-topic, but this legend deserves to be exposed for what it
is and beaten into dust.

Alexander D. Mitchell IV