Re: (rshsdepot) Buffalo, NY

Don't forget the huge New York Central terminal, which opened in 1929 and
is still standing, though derelict and devoid of trains.

>>> root_@_net.bluemoon.net 04/17/03 02:31PM >>>
On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 Don Dorflinger related:

> If my recollection serves me correctly, the DL&W Passenger station is
> long gone, and only a portion of the trainsheds remain. Are we talking
> about the freight house???

The headhouse is long gone and what remains was the trainshed above and
the
baggage/express/freight area below. In the photo Jim attached the
headhouse
was in the foreground and attached to the trainshed where the mirrored
windows
are.

I am fortunate to have had the opportunity to explore the abandoned ruins
of
the terminal area in the mid 70's as a teenager when I used to go on
frequent
day trip safaris around the Buffalo area on my bicycle. It was quite a
place
in its day and it's a shame (like so many others) that it was demolished.

Buffalo had three good sized stub end passenger terminals downtown at one
point, DL&W, Erie and LV. The Erie's was the first to go, in the 30's I
think,
then the LV in the middle 50's and finally DL&W's, a couple decades after
the
1962 abandonment.

There are some good photos and data pages at the LOC website:

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=3Dhhphoto&fileName=3Dny/ny0100/
ny0199/photos/browse.db&action=3Dbrowse

That's the shortest functional URL to get right to the pages (LOC's URL
scheme
is an abomination) so beware of wrapping lines when doing a copy and paste
a browser.

Henry

J. Henry Priebe Jr.    Blue Moon Internet Corp Network Administrator
www.bluemoon.net       Internet Access & Web Hosting
www.railfan.net        Railfan Network Services

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D