(rshsdepot) Hamlet, NC

Moving Of Train Station Proves Big Event In Hamlet
WRAL-TV

HAMLET, N.C. -- A huge piece of railroad history was shifted 210
feet Friday in the city of Hamlet.

The huge building was moved to the other side of the railroad
track to make it safer for passengers..

A 103-year-old, 400-ton train station was lifted off its
foundation and carried to a safer place for passengers.

People lined the streets as if waiting for a parade -- a parade
with no bands and only one float.

"I'm real enthused about seeing this move," said a voice in the
crowd.

All eyes were fixed on the old Hamlet railroad station as it was
lifted up and rolled south.

Once in place at its new location, the station will be restored
and reopened for passenger service, office space and a national
railroad museum.

The new foundation includes a 5,000-square foot basement. Plans
for the restored depot also include banquet facilities for the
town.

The classic all-wood depot long has been the pride of Hamlet, even
back when 95-year-old Ina Welch was a little girl.

"We went North, South, East, West . . . with passenger trains,"
Welch said. "It was delightful."

Pushing and preserving the past will cost Hamlet $7.3 million.
Most of that will come from federal grant money, and the state
will pay a portion.

The rest of the money came from Hamlet, with the help of Fairview
Elementary School.

"We came here to watch the train station get moved," said Fairview
Cole Griffin. "We have been selling doughnuts to raise the money."

Kids lined the street as if waiting for a parade -- a parade with
no bands and just one float

The hope of downtown Hamlet was riding along with the station on
the wheels that carried it down the road. City leaders said they
expect the station to draw tourists, travelers and employers.

"I think this is going to be the project that kicks off the
positive nature of what the spirit of downtown is all about," said
city manager Marchell David.

Nevertheless, the old downtown spirit won't be the same to Ina
Welch if all she sees are freight cars rattling through.

"Maybe we'll get some more passenger trains," Welch said. "I wish
we could. I love to ride the train."