(rshsdepot) Amtrak and Grand Central Terminal, NY

I had an interesting experience on my way into work this morning=2E  While=
 my
office building is directly next to Grand Central Terminal in New York Cit=
I don't normally walk through GCT=2E  But when it is snowing, like it is t=
his
morning, I take the No=2E 7 subway into GCT to avoid going outside, then w=
alk
through GCT to my building=2E=20

As I was walking through the main concourse I heard the usual train
boarding announcements, and then this one; "Amtrak train no=2E 251 to
Albany-Rensselaer, first stop Croton Harmon, is boarding on Track 21=2E  A=
ll
aboard=2E=2E=2E"  I paused, waiting for a correction, then turned around a=
nd
walked over to track 21, to see what was up=2E

Sure enough, three Amfleet coaches were awaiting passengers on track 21=2E=
couldn't see the locomotive, and I didn't want to venture down the
platform, but I did ask a green-jacketed GCT ticket agent, "When did Amtra=
start leaving from Grand Central again?"

His response, "This morning, since they knocked the bridge at Spuyten
Duyvil out of whack=2E"

The Spuyten Duyvil center pin swing bridge is on the connection, rebuilt b=
Amtrak, that allows trains on Metro North's Hudson Line to access Penn
Station=2E

For a little while at least, Grand Central Terminal is once again serving
long distance passenger trains=2E

Jim Dent

http://mail2web=2Ecom/ =2E