Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Depot plan in Sturtevant clears hurdle
By HEATHER ASIYANBI Special to the Journal Sentinel

Sunday, February 2, 2003

Sturtevant -- After derailing several times, the proposed $2.1 million
Amtrak depot will chug toward completion by this fall, thanks to an
agreement reached between the village and Canadian Pacific Railway.

Jennie Trick of the Racine County Economic Development Corp. told the
village's Finance Committee last week that an agreement on liability had
been reached and that the village should go forward with the development of
the depot.

"This is such an improvement over where we were before the end of the year,"
Trick said. "All the legal and liability issues have been resolved."

The depot is to be built in The Renaissance business park and replace the
Amtrak depot on the east side of the passenger train's tracks near Highway
11.

The largest portion of the construction -- and the most expensive --
involves relocating fiber optic lines that run parallel to the tracks while
excavation takes place for a pedestrian tunnel under both sets of tracks.

Trick said Canadian Pacific had insisted that only firms approved by the
railroad and flagmen employed by the railroad undertake the task.

While village officials had no quarrel with the railroad for the
stipulation, they balked at having to absorb full liability.

According to Trick, village attorney Tim Pruitt reviewed a revised document
pertaining to the deal and was satisfied that the village would not be
burdened with additional liability issues.

Trick said she expects the board to approve the proposal this week and to
have advertisements for bids ready by Wednesday.

"Now that these obstacles are removed, we are looking at a very aggressive
timeline," she said. "We haven't lost any time, really, and still look
forward to the depot's completion by this fall."

Neither Pruitt nor railroad officials were available for comment.