(rshsdepot) More Galion, OH

Galion residents celebrate Depot's pending rebirth

By Russ Kent
News Journal=20

GALION -- Pat Wittibslager remembers when the Big Four Depot was the
centerpiece of Galion's bustling economy=2E=20

"It was the hub of the community," said Wittibslager, whose father was a
telegraph operator for the railroad=2E "I remember getting on the train an=
going to the big Lazarus store in Columbus=2E I remember when my favorite
cousin came home from the war=2E We met him right here, me and a group of
friends=2E"=20

Galion residents have pledged to rehabilitate the old Big Four Depot to
bring it back to its former glory=2E Last month, the city received a $50,0=
00
early Christmas present from the state when money was earmarked in the
construction budget for renovations to the three-story building=2E=20

"I've fallen in love with this old jewel of a building," said Scott Heacoc=
of Poggemeyer Design Group=2E "You'll be proud of the way we rehabilitate =
it
=2E=2E=2E back to its original condition=2E"=20

Several dozen people crowded into the depot lobby Wednesday morning to
celebrate the $50,000 gift, reminisce about the past and dream of the
future=2E=20

"It's a great day," Heacock said=2E As if on cue, a train rumbled through
just feet away from the back of the building=2E "That's the reason we're
here=2E"=20

Bob Richardson, a funeral director in Galion, recalled some solemn
activities at the depot=2E=20

"During (World War II), Galion was a transfer station for bodies being
brought home," he said=2E "We always did that in the middle of the night=2E=
 At
times there would be six, eight or even 10 funeral directors here to take
the bodies home=2E"=20

"I remember the many GIs that came through here during World War II,"
Galion City Council member Don Diosi said=2E "There were many tears shed h=
ere
- -- tears of joy and tears of sorrow=2E"=20

The depot is receiving a fresh coat of paint=2E The color scheme was desig=
ned
to match colors from the depot's heyday=2E=20

"The railroad vacated the building in 1969," said Pauline Eaton, a Galion
council member and director of downtown revitalization for Heritage
Ohio/Downtown Ohio Inc=2E=20

A private investor bought the depot in 1975=2E He sold it to another local=

developer in 1986=2E In 1998, the city purchased the building for $175,000=

with a grant from the Freese Foundation=2E=20

"We're ready to move ahead," Eaton said=2E "We're ready to turn this back
into the productive building that we can be proud of again=2E"=20

Linda Chambers, manager of Main Street Galion, was responsible for much of=

the paperwork required to get the state's $50,000=2E She said the depot re=
hab
is only a single piece of a much-larger puzzle=2E=20

"It's not downtown revitalization anymore," she said=2E "It's the
revitalization of the community and we're not going to stop until it's
done=2E"=20

City officials are unsure what will happen to the building once renovation=

is complete=2E=20

"Eventually I think we're looking at some private office space," Heacock
said=2E=20

Dave Dayne, director of the Galion Area Chamber of Commerce, worked for
years to bring passenger rail service back to Ohio=2E He said a rehabbed
depot is a good selling point=2E=20

That's exactly what longtime Galion resident Elizabeth McHenry is thinking=
=2E=20

"I hope and pray we get it all fixed up so we can hop on a train and go
places again," she said=2E=20

http://mail2web=2Ecom/ =2E