(rshsdepot) Macon, GA

Tenants may be on way to Terminal Station

By Mike Donila
Macon Telegraph Staff Writer

Momentum for the four-story Terminal Station to become a bigger symbol of
downtown Macon grew Tuesday night as the mayor announced that it could have
more tenants soon.

"Right now, we have several companies who have shown an interest in moving
in, and we expect them within 90 days," Mayor Jack Ellis said, declining to
name the companies. "The contract could be done by late February or early
March, and one firm could bring a couple of hundred jobs to Macon."

The city and officials of NewTown Macon, a public-private partnership
dedicated to downtown redevelopment, are banking on the old train station to
become a vital piece of downtown's future. They hope to turn the building
into a transportation hub to help entice more visitors to downtown.

The building is currently occupied by NewTown and the Macon-Bibb County
Convention and Visitors Bureau.

Built in 1916, Terminal Station was the regional transportation hub during
the era of train travel and provided the backdrop for thousands of GIs who
passed through the station during the two world wars. At its peak in 1920,
the station handled more than 100 trains a day.

The city and NewTown would like the station to become the new hub for
Macon's taxis, transit bus service, Greyhound bus lines and in the coming
years, passenger rail service connecting Macon to Atlanta and its more than
4 million residents.

Greyhound officials confirmed they are interested in moving out of their
Spring Street station to the planned transportation center at the base of
Cherry Street, which could bring "at least an additional $25,000 a year" in
rent, Ellis said.

Officials also are hoping to enhance Terminal Station's transportation pull
by helping ensure that proposed Macon-Atlanta passenger rail becomes a
reality in the next few years.

The rail project has been sidetracked as of late. Ellis said Gov.-elect
Sonny Perdue told him that he was "lukewarm" to the idea and that trains
would have to move "much faster" than normal traffic.

"I think if we can do that - get it to 70-80 mph - then he'll support that,
and it's something we can probably do," Ellis said.
The Macon Transit Authority also is expected to move its bus transfer center
from Poplar Street down to Terminal Station by February or March as work
begins on the design project to enhance the Poplar Street streetscape.

About $3 million in federal funds has been earmarked for Terminal Station's
renovation for the upcoming year, Ellis said.

However, total renovation, which would include adding shops to the atrium
and adding a restaurant in the baggage area, could cost as much as $8
million.

The city sold Terminal Station to Georgia Power in 1982 for $400,000. Two
decades later, Macon bought it back for about $2 million.

To contact Mike Donila, call 744-4296 or e-mail mdonila_@_macontel.com.