(rshsdepot) Williamsburg, VA

Link:
http://www.ci.williamsburg.va.us/pics/trainst6.jpg
http://www.ci.williamsburg.va.us/direct/train.html  (additional photos)
http://www.pilotonline.com/peninsula/projects/williamsburg/transport/index.h
tml  (photos & information)

Williamsburg, Va., Celebrates Restoration of Train Station
Source: Daily Press
Publication date: 2002-05-24

May 24--WILLIAMSBURG, Va.--Virginia's new Secretary of Transportation, Whitt
Clement, called the Williamsburg Transportation Center a model for other
state communities to follow, as he helped area leaders and residents
rededicate the spruced-up train station Thursday.
Clement cut the ceremonial ribbon along with city and community leaders
while about 200 officials and residents watched. The event took place under
the canopy near the train platform. Colonial Williamsburg's Fife & Drum
Corps played while the crowd gathered before the rededication.

"This old station is truly, truly a hub of transportation for the area,"
Clement told the crowd.

The official re-opening of the center comes at the end of a three-year
process to restore the 1935 building. Various grants paid in part for the
$1.6 million project.

Nanci Bond, a Williamsburg resident, wore an Amtrak T-shirt to the
dedication. She has lobbied the city to clean up the train station and spoke
at City Council meetings about the benefits of rail travel.

"I'm thrilled to death with this. It was a disgrace the way it was," she
said as she stood in the lobby surrounded by new windows, refinished wood,
new furniture, a new ticket counter and more.

Colin Campbell, president of the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, gave the
audience a history lesson on the train station, including its 19th century
start near North England Street. He called the present train station "a
major and necessary step for our city and visitors."

Timothy Sullivan, president of the College of William and Mary, amused the
group by telling stories of how, before the train station was built, the
college used to transport students by wagon from a wharf located near
Jamestown. He then assured folks that students don't travel by wagons
anymore.

Sullivan also predicted the station could lure visitors to the city.

"Good things are happening in our town and we have a lot to be proud of," he
said.

Jeff Coffman is very proud of the station. He's been an Amtrak ticket clerk
for nine years in Williamsburg. The building was dirty and dreary before the
renovations, he said.

"You couldn't keep anything clean," he said. "Plus, you'd freeze in the
winter and sweat in the summer."

Coffman has worked in 35 train stations during his 30-year career. The
refurbished station, he said, is the nicest one in Virginia and one of the
nicest in the entire rail system.

"This building," he said, "now grabs people by surprise and people are more
respectful to me because it's a nice, clean place."