(rshsdepot) LIRR news from 1931

Today I was squinting at dark microfilm of the Nassau Daily Review from
September and October 1931....Freeport was against the elevating of the
railroad (they lost but I don't remember when, maybe soon after)...Then was
a front page story about the LIRR planning to close the Hempstead freight
depot..there was a picture but the dark microfilm makes copying
pointless-Today in Hempstead I couldn't even guess where this freight yard
was....It also gave plans for the RR, to electrify the Central line and put
passenger service to Babylon (the electric to Salisbury happened), to close
the passenger service at Fulton Street (I am not even sure what line this
was on, I think this was the old line south from Garden City), there was
other stuff...if I can find it again I will go back and copy and squint at
it at home and report more...Anyone with info on Hempstead freight depot and
the Fulton Street station please reply...

There was also on 10/8/1931 the arrival in the Orient of Clyde Pangborn and
Hugh Herndon after completing the first non-stop Trans-Pacific flight- 4,265
miles; this was not the non-stop distance record, that being in July of '31
by John Polano & Russell Boardman, New York City to Istanbul-5,011 miles...I
guess these guys aren't famous because Lindbergh was not only first but did
it solo (going up to 5,000 feet at night so in case he fell asleep so he
could recover in time), also Lindbergh had no front window, only a
periscope...

I realize the second part of my message is sort of an anti-rail piece, as
Lindbergh almost directly led to viable passenger plane travel..
There was also an article in this 1931 paper praising the library I was in
(but not the building) which was quite weird.

Paul Luchter