(rshsdepot) Macon, GA

Link:
http://www.cityofmacon.net/Projects/terminal.htm  (information & photo)

The sale of Terminal Station from Georgia Power to the city of Macon...
By Christopher Schwarzen
Telegraph Staff Writer

The sale of Terminal Station from Georgia Power to the city of Macon is
complete, according to sources involved in the sale of the property.

The city is poised to take over the property - planned as the city's future
multimodal station housing passenger rail, long-distance and local busing
options as well as other transportation modes - July 15. The sale was
expected to be near $2.5 million, a mix of local and federal funds.

Sources connected to the transaction said documents regarding the sale had
been signed by the city and were being signed by Georgia Power.

City officials said Friday a price has been agreed upon but fell short of
confirming papers finalizing the sale had been signed. Macon Mayor Jack
Ellis was unavailable for comment.

Georgia Power officials also wouldn't confirm the sale, adding they expected
the city of Macon to make the announcement.

"But it's no secret we're moving out beginning next week," said Theresa
Robinson, the company's assistant to the region manager in Macon.

About 10 employees will move to facilities at Key Street, which offers more
space than what the company was using at Terminal Station, Robinson said.

"We won't have an office at Terminal Station at all after this, but some of
our furniture will remain until we have to get it out," she said.

Conie Mac Darnell, president of NewTown Macon, said he wasn't surprised to
hear dealings are about finished.

"We had originally thought of a closing date around July 1, when bond money
would be available," Darnell said.

NewTown will be responsible for creating a plan to use space not needed for
transportation. That more than likely will include retail, restaurant and
office space, Darnell said. NewTown will invest $300,000 annually for three
years to cover operating and development costs.

The Macon Transit Authority could be the first transportation mode to use
the facility. With improvements at Poplar Street slated for the fall, buses
will find their new home at Terminal Station, said Joseph McElroy, director
of the Macon Transit Authority.

"That will be good for the passengers because they'll be out of the weather
and have restroom facilities there," he said. "We'll be using the west wing
as a drop-off and can get about 10 buses in there at a time."

The transit authority runs about 18 buses during peak times, averaging about
5,700 daily passengers.

Plans for passenger rail have been delayed, however, following Gov. Roy
Barnes' decision to leave funds for a rail route between Macon and Atlanta
out of next year's budget. Ellis has said he expects rail to be delayed
until 2012 instead of its original 2005 start date.

- ----