(rshsdepot) Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario

Link:
http://www.viarail.ca/corporate/en_bkgdr_20020510_kitchener_waterloo.html
(description of renovation project)

VIA Completes $350,000 Renovations to Kitchener-Waterloo Passenger Station
KITCHENER-WATERLOO - VIA Rail Canada today officially opened
Kitchener-Waterloo's renovated train station, marking the completion of a
$350,000 project started last October to modernize facilities for the
growing number of passengers using the station. On hand at a news conference
marking the event were VIA Rail's Regional Director, Pierre Santoni,
Kitchener-Waterloo MP Andrew Telegdi, on behalf of Transport Minister David
Collenette, as well as Kitchener Centre MP Karen Redman. Part of VIA's
Renaissance program and a $402 million federal investment in passenger rail,
the improvements reflect VIA's long-term commitment to bring more services,
better equipment and faster trains to Southwestern Ontario.

Mr. Telegdi noted recent Census data showing that "the Kitchener-Waterloo
region is becoming a vibrant centre in the Golden Horseshoe - the dynamic,
growing urban corridor stretching out from Toronto that is now home to
almost a quarter of Canada's total population."

"Good rail service is vital to the people who live and work here, and it is
a catalyst for future growth," Mr. Collenette said. "The government of
Canada is committed to providing just that - a modern passenger rail service
that is safe, efficient, and growing to meet the needs of Canadians."

"Whether they are travelling for pleasure or business, the train provides an
invaluable way for people to stay connected to communities throughout
Southwestern Ontario, and beyond. It expands our opportunities for
travelling to and from work, it attracts more people into our own community,
and it adds one more asset to attract new business and industry," added Ms
Redman.

Renovations and upgrades to the station include new ticket counters, an
expanded and renovated waiting room, improved access for people with
disabilities, and improvements to the parking lot and platform.

"This renovated station will make passenger rail a more effective and more
attractive option for travellers coming into Kitchener-Waterloo and for the
people who travel in and out of this community every day," Ms Redman said.

Pierre Santoni, VIA's Regional Director for Southwestern Ontario, said "the
renovations restore the heritage character of this important station, while
providing a modern, more comfortable and convenient facility for passengers.
We expect the number of people boarding our trains at Kitchener-Waterloo to
keep growing, and we are committed to providing them with the best service
possible."

Responding to increased demand, VIA added a new mid-morning train out of
Kitchener-Waterloo for Toronto last October, with return service in the
evening. The new train service includes stops at Guelph, Georgetown and
Brampton.

Waterloo Region Chair Ken Seiling welcomed VIA's commitment: "Good
transportation links are important to any community, but they are especially
vital for Waterloo Region. The refurbished Kitchener-Waterloo station and
the additional service to and from Toronto support our efforts locally to
lure people out of their cars and onto public transportation," said Mr.
Seiling. "The VIA improvements compliment the integrated public
transportation network we are building in this Region."

VIA Rail is Canada's national passenger rail service. With more than a
decade of sustained passenger and revenue growth across the country, and a
capital investment of $402 million from the federal government, VIA's
Renaissance program includes purchasing new equipment, upgrading existing
equipment, improving the rail infrastructure, and modernizing and upgrading
passenger stations and facilities. VIA is investing over $20 million in its
Southwestern Ontario operations, including the renovations to the
Kitchener-Waterloo passenger station.