From: Bernie Wagenblast <brwagenblast_@_comcast.net>
To: Rail Depot List <rshsdepot_@_lists.railfan.net>
Date: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 4:17 PM
Subject: (rshsdepot) Provo, UT

Links:
http://ghostdepot.com/rg/images/utah/provo%20union%20depot%20c1910%20pc.jpg
(Provo's Union Station circa 1910)

Officials celebrate completion of new train depot in Provo
The Daily Herald on Tuesday, May 14

By AMY K. STEWART

PROVO -- The city will celebrate its new train depot with a ceremony on
Wednesday.

The event, beginning at 10 a.m., will be at the depot site at 300 West and
600 South, Provo.

The public is invited to attend.

Mayor Lewis K. Billings, as well as the Provo City Council and Amtrak
officials, will speak and drive in some spikes at the site.

There will be a free tour of the Silver Lariat Vista Dome Car, formerly part
of the California Zephyr Train, as seen in the movie "Pearl Harbor."

The new depot cost $120,000 and was split between Provo city, Amtrak and a
federal grant. A few city departments also provided some in-kind funds.

Construction was by Wade Payne Construction of Orem.

The old depot was a graffiti-covered metal frame structure with a cement
floor and Plexiglas roof and windows. The parking lot was dark and made of
gravel.

The new structure was created to look like an old-fashioned depot and is
made partially of brick.

The new depot consists of three well-lit shelters: two are outdoor units and
one is an enclosed, heated building. There is a phone and paved parking
spaces. Landscaping has been put in with grass and trees.

"We've had a lot of compliments on it," said city long-range planner Vern
Keeslar, who helped the mayor with the project.

"I'm excited for there to be a safe, secure place for people to leave their
car and hop on Amtrak and go for a ride," Keeslar said.