(rshsdepot) St. Johns, MI

Links:
http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/newsimages/2002/x1578810_2.jpg
http://user.mc.net/~louisvw/depot/st-johns/st-johns.htm  (depot page with
photos)

St. Johns depot could become town center
Restored building in St. Johns will be dedicated Saturday
By Sally Trout
Lansing State Journal

ST. JOHNS - The Grand Truck Railroad Depot, a key part of city history,
could soon play a lead role in the city's future.

The depot, built in 1920 for $100,000 at Clinton Avenue and Railroad Street,
could become an activity center for most downtown events - from the pumpkin
festival to the Christmas tree lighting.

"This is the only large green space remaining in the downtown, and the city
felt it important that this piece of history and the land surrounding it be
preserved," said Bill Schafer, city recreation director and a project
coordinator.

Residents haven't heard the clickety clack of a passenger train or its
whistle since 1959. The last freight train passed in 1992.

Residents and city leaders will celebrate the completion of the building
restoration project at an open house Saturday.

Railroad memorabilia will be displayed, and a dedication service is set for
noon.

St. Johns bought the building from the Michigan Central Railway for $85,000
in 1998. A year later the city got $325,000 to restore the historic building
through a Michigan Art, Cultural and Quality of Life grant.

The interior has been restored even down to matching the original wall
colors and refurbishing tile and wood floors.

Now there are public restrooms, the building is accessible for people with
disabilities and planning will begin soon on development of the lawn.

Tentative plans call for most of the building to be rented to a local
nonprofit organization.

A tenant hasn't been identified yet.

"Everything is tentative right now, but the committee wants to have the
building occupied within a month or two," Schafer said. "We don't want the
building empty."

Railroad tracks are gone and the neighboring grain elevator closed, but
there are hopes for new beginnings.

There are lots of dreams that could become reality there, said Ben Munger,
chairman of the depot advisory committee.

"We are hoping those attending the open house will bring their ideas to the
table and have a part in shaping the depot's future," he said.

Munger supports a master plan to help guide the area's rebirth.

Some suggestions include a veterans' memorial within a roundabout at the
Clinton-Railroad intersection, an open lawn area for activities and a
shelter area suitable for a farmer's market.

There also is talk of a rails-to-trails project that would pass through St.
Johns between Ionia and Owosso.

"I have always advocated we look at the depot from a larger perspective,"
Munger said.

Contact Sally Trout at 377-1040 or strout_@_lsj.com.