(rshsdepot) United Nations Station

To view or download the image(s), click on or cut and paste the following URL into your web browser and click/select the index or matching subject link.

http://www.railfan.net/lists/mplist.cgi?rshsdepot-photo

UNStation.jpg (image/jpeg, 350136 bytes)

Here is a Times photo from 9/23/1946. The United nations would be at
Lake Success/New Hyde Park (and the remaining historic buildings were
recently demolished), and there were meetings there, but there were also
meetings at a site at the former World's Fair site at the former New
York City pavilion/building (still there today as a museum or is it an
ice rink, the big model of New York City is inside now. It is off the
Grand Central Parkway.) This was a second picture above the caption at
the top of this scan

Beginning on 10/23 there were to be United nations meetings at this
building in  Flushing Meadows.  here is a picture of the United Nations
Long Island Railroad station for these meeting. I believe it was the
World's Fair Station and is today the Shea Stadium Station. I am unsure
which way we are looking. East towards Grand Central Parkway (I can't
recall if the LIRR goes over or under the GCT. Maybe there was a road
bridge at that time (I don't think there is one now, though I don't
remember what is used by the Mets fans from the LIRR station to Shea
either), maybe we are looking east. This is the Port Washington branch.
Once there were Corona and Elmhurst Stations to the west, Flushing is
next station east.

This may also be called Willet's Point station today, though Willet's
Point is really up NE  at Fort Totten east of the Throggs Neck bridge-a
star shaped fort (now gone) with the first pedestrian tunnel (600 feet)
between the battery and the rest of the complex. There were also Nike
missiles based here, these were matched with missiles at Fort Tilden at
the western point of Rockaway Peninsula. All forts had a twin. Fort
Totten's was Fort Schuyler on the Throgg's Neck in the Bronx, Fort
Tilden's was Fort Monmouth at Sandy Hook.

Which direction are we looking in this UN Station photo, what is the
overpass in the background? Does anyone have any information on this
United Stations LIRR station?

Paul