(rshsdepot) Lebanon, OR

Link:
http://www.usgennet.org/usa/or/town/lebanon/train.html Lebanon Train Station
Restoration Project (with old photo of station)

Council approves final depot design

By A.K. Dugan
Lebanon Express Writer

The final plans for restoration of the Santiam Travel Station, Phase II,
were approved by a 4-2 vote of the city council last week after an extended
discussion.
At issue were architect recommendations to use sealed windows over the old
sliding doors. The windows would allow the original structure to be seen and
provide energy efficiency in the building.
Voting in favor were Ron Miller, Ken Toombs, Stan Usinger and Dan
Thackaberry. Those opposed were Mel Harrington and Roger Munk.
Toombs said in an interview on Monday he voted to approve the plan because
it is time to move forward and get the depot in shape for use.
"I think we've wasted enough money," he said. "We have to have a viable
station we can use. It's time to get on with it."
Harrington is a member of the Lebanon Historic Resources Commission, which
recommended against accepting the architect's design. He voted no, he said,
because he thinks the glass front windows compromise the historic appearance
of the building's exterior.
Munk was concerned about the cost.
"I voted no because I thought the amount of money being spent for the
benefit gained was too much," Munk said.
The approved plan calls for sliding freight doors on the south and west
sides of the structure to be locked partially open and covered on the
outside by "storefront" windows over the closed portion and new public
access doors framed into the open space. On the east side, the sliding doors
would be permanently closed and a window framed on the inside of the entire
door opening.
Harrington said he would favor retreating from the project and leaving the
exterior and interior of the freight bay as is.
Mayor Scott Simpson suggested looking at the design used for a historic
depot in Springfield. In that plan, public access doors are cut into the
sliding doors, which are secured in place.
City engineer Allen Dannen said that might threaten the grant funding.
The plans also must be approved by the Oregon Department of Transportation,
which is paying most of the bill for the work, and the State Historic
Preservation Office (SHPO). The former Southern Pacific Railroad depot is on
the national register of historic buildings.
The ODOT grant is for $391,000. The city is providing matching funds of
$69,000 from city funds and $16,000 from state foot and bike path funds.
The project includes building a deck on the south and west sides of the
building, landscaping and parking on both the east and west sides of Sherman
Street adjacent to the depot and making Third Street one-way southbound
between Sherman and Grant streets.
A few years ago a $384,000 grant from ODOT paid for exterior renovations and
restoration of the lobby of the building.
At a meeting on Oct. 10, 2001, the council directed the architect to provide
a design that would allow for efficient heating and cooling of the large
freight bay. The conceptual design for the former freight bay included a
conference room, large meeting room, kitchen, office, storage room and two
Americans with Disabilities Act bathrooms.
At that time, Harrington opposed covering up the walls with insulation on
the inside. The space - 23 feet wide and almost 100 feet long - had never
been finished inside. Currently, light can be seen through floorboards and
walls.