Re: (rshsdepot) Hopewell Depot Restoration Newsletter

The photo is at

http://www.railfan.net/lists/mplist.cgi?rshsdepot-photo

The header was a bit strange as it wasn't addressed directly To: the list so
the photo extractor didn't pick up the list name. I moved the photo into place
by hand.

Henry

On Sat, 16 Mar 2002, Bernard Rudberg wrote:

> NOTE: This message had contained at least one image attachment.
> To view or download the image(s), click on or cut and paste the following URL into your web browser and click/select the index or matching subject link.
>
> http://www.railfan.net/lists/mplist.cgi?-photo
>
> DpNws032.jpg (application/octet-stream, 25129 bytes)
>
> The attachment is a photo of Hopewell Depot c. 1905
>       Depot in it's original location.
>      Photo from the collection of the
>      East Fishkill Historical Society.
>
>         HOPEWELL DEPOT RESTORATION
>         Next Meeting    Wed, Apr. 3
>        7:30 PM at the East Fishkill
>              Community Center
>   The Community Center is located off Rte. 82 in the center of
> Hopewell Junction between the RR overpass and the Rte.376
> traffic light across from McHoul's funeral home.
>       The main subject of the meeting:
> Possible acquisition of land near the depot
>
> Your depot Restoration board members urge you to
> come to the meeting and we will explain the details
> and open the floor for discussion.
> This meeting will also be our annual election of officers.   Jerry
> Carey is still filling both the VP slot and the treasurer job.  Can
> you help out
>         Opportunity to Acquire Land
>
> One of the central questions surrounding the Hopewell Depot has
> been: Can it be restored in the current location or will we have to
> move it?  A move would cost money and effort, and could have
> an adverse affect on future historic status and possible grant
> applications. We would like to keep it where it is but there is not
> much room and the land under it belongs to Dutchess County.
> In addition there have been several proposals for development in
> the area of the depot, including road improvements and a large
> housing development planned for the area spanning the former
> rail line between Fishkill Road and Route 376.
>
> Now we have an opportunity to acquire land near the depot for
> parking etc.  We have had an offer on a parcel of land which
> would serve very well. It could also serve as a parking area for
> the planned Dutchess County Rail Trail.
>
> Ownership of  land would have a positive affect on future fund
> raising and grant applications. The board has been in discussions
> concerning our options, which will be explained at the meeting .
> We need the support of all the members to take advantage of this
> offer.
>      Depot Restoration Questions
>
>  What is the location of the proposed road improvements ?
>        Will it impact the depot location ?
>         Will it cross land owned by Dutchess County and/or
>         Metro North ?
>         Engineering studies ?
>         Is anybody working on plans ?
>         Time frame ?
> Our depot restoration effort has come to a major decision point.
> Our organization by-laws require a membership majority vote for
> approval of any real estate transactions.  We need the support of
> [...]

J. Henry Priebe Jr.       Blue Moon President & Network Administrator
root_@_bluemoon.net         www.bluemoon.net - Blue Moon Internet Corp
V.90, X2 & K56flex        www.railfan.net  - The Railfan Network