(rshsdepot) Wahoo, NE

Renovation lies ahead

By Lynn Slusarski/Lee Enterprises
Fremont Tribune

WAHOO -- The Saunders County Historical Society is making plans to renovate
one of its most prized possessions, the Wahoo Railroad Depot.

The depot's exterior will be repaired, along with a new roof, siding and
fresh coat of paint. Some drainage problems also will be fixed.

Renovations are being done based on original pictures of the depot, which is
how the society discovered the depot was missing loading docks that will be
added with the renovations.

The museum also has a new curator -- Erin Hauser. The former curator was at
the museum for five years. Hauser has been at the Saunders County Museum
since October 2001.

She said the Saunders County Museum curator is the first museum position she
has had since going through the Museum Cities Program at the University of
Nebraska-Lincoln. Hauser is a Nebraska native, but is not from the Wahoo
area.

"The program is good about putting a lot of job opportunities out there,"
Hauser said.

Hauser said she has been enjoying her time at the museum and in Saunders
County.

"It is a lot of fun and I have met a lot of interesting people. I love to
hear the stories (of people in Saunders County)," Hauser said.