Re: (rshsdepot) "450-Ton Locomotive at the Waldorf-Astoria"

Lucky and Daniel,
It was even more complicated than that. The New Haven's overhead
catenary system ran on 11,000 volt AC current, while the NYC's 3rd
rail system ran on 600 volt DC. The FL-9s were ordered at a time
when the NH under the lamentable (but unlamented) Patrick McGinnis
was considering abandoning the entire electrification from New Haven
to Woodlawn Junction. The FL-9s were designed to run from Boston
to Woodlawn on diesel, then switch over to the NYC's 3rd rail power
at Woodlawn to comply with NYC ordinances that required electric
motive power. The FL-9 didn't need the large AC pantographs used
on the other NH electrics because the catenary wasn't supposed to be
there anymore, but they did need special 3rd rail shoes that could be
set in two different positions -- one for the NYC's under-running 3rd
rails, and another for the LIRR/PRR top-contact rail in case they had
run into Penn Station. As Daniel mentioned, the electrical control system
system required to change from the onboard power to 3rd rail power
was complicated and never really perfected in the FL-9s -- there were
several cases of electrical fires in FL-9s including one that had to go
back to EMD for a complete rebuild.

Jim.