(rshsdepot) New York Central Lines Power Plant (was re: 420 ton locomotive, etceteras...)

I bet a lot of you are by a library with indexes and microfilm....
I only hadd time tonite to search the indexes, ....Construction of the new Waldorf-Astoria Hotel would begin after (much approval processes and) and the demolition of the New York Central Lines Power Plant. So a power plant built along with the midtown multi-block bridge for all the streets around and the tunnel below....well if this power station was built along with the rest of GCT project, I guess this might easily explain sidings and elevators big enough for a small car...anyway why are we questioning a tour of the site....I didn't know we should be suspitious of all articles and histories of railroad sites....these people seem very credivble....

So there you have it....I wll be reading each article from 1929 (this article in June to 1932...I am sure they will mention the private siding and the big elevator (wasn't it said to be 9 feet? That really is not so big, especially for a power plant that might have been for all of the Manhattan electricity needs for the GCT electric trains and power and heat possibly....more to come)

I sadly report that many of the Waldorf-Astoria long time residents were quite saddened by the closing of the 34th street hotel, many gala goodbye dinners were fruited.

last night on the web, I scanned about 30 of the 14,000 hitsin a search. I learned that the Astor Hotel and the mother's Waldorf were separated by an alley because the two hated each other. This alley eventually became a posh site for the la-dee-dah. They showed off and preened a lot and the alley became known as Peacock Alley. I think this is a restaurant now in the current hotel...Astor and his mom hated each other so much taht the hotel when it merged was called Waldorf=Astoria, with the equal sign. I guess that was because they couldn't decide which name should be first (Astor built the first hotl on 34th next door to the family mansion on the corner. She moved uptown and built the competitor Waldorf,,

Anyway what do y'all think of my Power Station theory of private siding?

Paul

rshsdepot_@_lists.railfan.net wrote:
> I agree with you, Seth. It's a highly unlikely story. It was probably an
ordinary freight elevator for receiving baggage and mail. Even assuming
that he arrived at the platform by rail, why not just roll his wheelchair
into the elevator and take him up to the garage level to enter his limo?

Jim.