Re: (rshsdepot) Hoboken Pleasure Railway

In a message dated 12/16/01 9:19:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
luckyshow_@_mindspring.com writes:

<< OK, anyone know anything about the "Pleasure Railway at Hoboken, 1833,  >>

I never heard of it before your post, but found the following describing it:

"RAYNOR'S Regatta Pavilion took an entire blk on Kent
b/w No.6th & 7th, running down to the rivers edge, partly
on a bluff. There was a garden and a pleasure railway of wood
that ran in a circle, refreshments of all kinds were served,
a place for regattas."

From the description and the lithograph, it appears it was not a railway, the
way we think of a railway today.  It was apparently something built to
attract customers to the ferry from New York to Hoboken by offering an
attraction on the New Jersey side of the river.

End of RSHSDepot Digest V1 #231