Re: (rshsdepot) Hoboken Pleasure Railway

In a message dated 12/16/01 9:19:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
luckyshow_@_mindspring.com writes:

<< OK, anyone know anything about the "Pleasure Railway at Hoboken, 1833,  >>

I never heard of it before your post, but found the following describing it:

"RAYNOR'S Regatta Pavilion took an entire blk on Kent
b/w No.6th & 7th, running down to the rivers edge, partly
on a bluff. There was a garden and a pleasure railway of wood
that ran in a circle, refreshments of all kinds were served,
a place for regattas."

From the description and the lithograph, it appears it was not a railway, the
way we think of a railway today.  It was apparently something built to
attract customers to the ferry from New York to Hoboken by offering an
attraction on the New Jersey side of the river.