(rshsdepot) Saratoga Springs, NY

CP Rail begins to clear way for station renovations

JIM KINNEY, The Saratogian August 29, 2001

SARATOGA SPRINGS -- Canadian Pacific Railway plans to move its
maintenance facilities away from the Saratoga Springs passenger
station and into its freight yard.

City Supervisor Philip Klein said he worked with the railroad so
efforts can begin next year to substantially renovate the
existing 1960s-era passenger station. U.S. Rep. John Sweeney,
R-Clifton Park, has placed $2.5 million for station improvements
in a federal transportation bill.

''And we will keep the jobs in Saratoga Springs,'' Klein said.

Stephen Fisk, CP Rail's director of business development, said
about 20 people work out of the existing maintenance shop. They
are responsible for track, signs, bridges and buildings from
Albany north to Ticonderoga.

''We have a lot of equipment and material on hand as well, so
this should make it nicer for people arriving by train,'' he
said.

The railroad also plans to build a new access road linking the
switching yard with West Avenue though the Pitney farm.

''We've had that forever,'' Fisk said. ''It's a staging area for
us now.''

Fisk said work may begin on the road this fall. Work won't begin
on the new shop building until spring 2002.

Klein said the new access roads will keep truck traffic off
Glenham Road and Glenmore Avenue.