Re: (rshsdepot) Tunnel: 'Hidden historical asset of Baltimore'

Jim,

Couldn't the same method of tunnel building be used? The would greatly
reduce the need for full throttle application when going uphill in a
tunnel. I know that this method of thinking was used when building the
Cetral New England RR's Pouhkeepsi Bridge. If you stand at one end of the
bridge, you can clearly see the level section in the middle and the grade
at the opposite end. To avoid the need for throttle applications, the
bridge approaches and onto the bridge for a good amount (not sure exactly
how far), the tracks are down grade towards the center of the bridge. This
way the train could essentially coast while on the bridge, using the weight
of the rear of the train to push the head end beyond the trestle before
throttle application was necessary, therefore reducing the stresses on the
birdge from the locomotive.

>it would appear that the Howard St. Tunnel does not travel under any bodis
>of water, instead it carries the tracks from the north side of Baltimore
>south towards Camden Station.  For the most part the tunnel is underneath
>the north-south running Howard St.

Bruce Mowbray
trainhead_@_mymail.emcyber.com
http://www.geocities.com/trainhead391/
TMB Manufacturing and Locomotive Works
1 1/2" Scale & 2 1/2" Scale (Narrow Gauge) Live Steamer