(rshsdepot) Quotables

The two "Quotables" from the Aug. 6th Trains.com Newswire concerned
depots...

"This is the most fun-filled aspect of the job."--

New Jersey Transit Executive Director Jeffrey Warsh, quoted in the New Yo=
rk
Times regarding the agency=92s efforts to preserve and renovate historic =
train
stations on its system.  Since 1994, NJT has spent $42 million to researc=
stations for designation on the National Register of Historic Places, and=
restore 14 of them. Some $10 million in restoration work is currently und=
er
way, and $46 million more is planned, most of it for the former Delaware,
Lackawanna & Western Hoboken Terminal.

"A proposal like this makes it the train station at the House of Blues. T=
hat
building is not the House of Blues. It's the Union Pacific Depot. We need=
get this building back. I'm insulted by this packet."--

Salt Lake City Historic Landmark Commissioner Willy Littig, quoted last w=
eek
in the Salt Lake Tribune regarding a company's plans to put a
nightclub-restaurant in the former UP depot. Plans include 1,000 square f=
eet
of neon signs, one with 10-foot letters, to be installed on the building.