Re: (rshsdepot) Tunnel: 'Hidden historical asset of Baltimore'

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Bruce Mowbray wrote:

> Maybe I am going out on a limb here but,
>
> If the area or the stiff grade is not too long and knowing the tunnel is
> under a river, I would imagine there is an opposing grade toward each end
> of the tunnel with the bottom of the grade at the center. Here is what I
> think could be the allowance for such a steep grade. The train enters the
> tunnel and heads down grade. The rest of the train follows. The leading
> part of the train reaches the bottom of the grade and heads upgrade to the
> other end of the tunnel. The rest of the train is still heading down grade
> and this helps to push the leading end of the train upgrade. As long as the
> train isn't short, the opposing grades could effectivly cancel each other out.
>  Just my thoughts and my limited experience with basic physics.

Shame on me for having lived in the Balto-Washington area for most of my
life and not knowing anything close to a difinitive answer here.

On-topic stuff aside, this reminds me of a "puzzler" on NPR's Car Talk
-From a little over a year ago.

http://cartalk.cars.com/Radio/Puzzler/2000.html

It's the one on 7/1.

Answer at
http://cartalk.cars.com/Radio/Puzzler/Transcripts/200028/answer.html

And I can comment even less as to whether the trackage from Rochester, NY
that they refer is in real life as they describe it.

- -Andy

- --
FOOT-AND-MOUTH BELIEVED TO BE FIRST VIRUS
UNABLE TO SPREAD THROUGH MICROSOFT OUTLOOK
Researchers Shocked to Finally Find Virus That Email App Doesn't Like
 (http://www.satirewire.com/news/0103/outlook.shtml)