(rshsdepot) Ashland, WI

-From the Ashland, WI Daily Press...

Depot fund drive may get boost from Senate
Earmarks $1 million for Depot restoration
A.J. Van Beest
The Daily Press
Last Updated: Tuesday, June 19th, 2001 09:23:47 AM

State Sen. Bob Jauch (D-Poplar) announced the Senate approved his budget
amendment to earmark $1 million in federal transportation funds the state
receives to help rebuild Ashland's Soo Line Depot.

If the measure is included in the final budget, the money will come to the
Depot Restoration Committee in 2003 and can be used for restoration or
upgrading the structure, but only because it is owned by a non-profit
entity.

Jauch said the money is important to making the restoration effort succeed.

"Ashland citizens are making a huge investment of time, energy and money
into making the Depot a functional part of their community again," Jauch
said. "... The state's participation is an essential ingredient to this
public-private partnership effort."

Though the Senate has approved the measure in the budget bill expected to be
ratified today., it still has to pass the Assembly and governor to become
reality. Jauch said he was uncertain of the amendment's future.

"I am hopeful the governor and the Republicans will recognize this is a very
valuable investment...," Jauch said. "This is a smart investment of tax
dollars that will help the continuing efforts to rebuild the Ashland
community."

Jauch said the federal source on which his amendment draws has provided
funding for a depot restoration in Racine. He said the governor proposed
using $2 million of the fund for a museum in Kenosha as well.

"There's plenty of precedent for this investment," Jauch said. "And my
amendment is an appropriate way to distribute revenues in northern Wisconsin
to help achieve (spending) parity," he added.

The chairman of the Depot Restoration Committee, Jim Ogilvie, was very
excited about Jauch's news.

"I need to get about a hundred letters and phone calls into the governor and
speaker of the house tomorrow so we can get the final dressing on this,"
Ogilvie said. "We need to tell them about the need for this project and the
impact it will have on the community."

Ogilvie thanked Jauch on behalf of the committee and the Ashland Area
Development Corporation.

"He (Jauch) did a great job for us today," Ogilvie said.