Re: (rshsdepot) East New York . . .

rshsdepot
"James R. Guthrie" wrote:

> rshsdepot
> >Is it possible to scan the timetable that had Chambers Street to
> Rockaways with >the East NY stop (or feeder train departure time)? I
> am still curious why it might >have gone to E NY before heading to
> Rockaway since this would have been far >from direct...
>
> It is not generally well known that the LIRR operated direct rail
> service from Manhattan before the opening of Penn Station.  In
> essence, the current Essex Street station on the J/M/Z lines was the
> first Manhattan rail terminus of the LIRR; the next was Chambers
> Street. Penn Station is really the LIRR's third Manhattan terminal.

JIM:  Would you be good enough to provide a date for the LIRR RAIL service
into New York City pre opening of Penn Station.  I have gone through my
LIRR passenger timetables, 1894-1900 and find only the following terminals
on Manhattan Island:
Pier 13, E. R., nr. Wall St./Ft. New Chambers St., E. R./Ft. 34th St.,
E.R.

If you can give a date for through pre-PRR rail service onto Manhattan
Island, I can check the timetables.  Thanks in advance.