Sometimes a photo is just a photo(was: Re: (rshsdepot) B&O Royal Blue Line at Whitehall Ferry)

rshsdepot
Must we pick a nit about  everything...this was a magical find by Steve-he
would be a magician if in one day he found on the net a photo proving
positively  about St. George to the B&O trunk line..Or Whitehall Street to
Washington...

[I went and requested if they knew any of this info, but I rambled as I do,
lets see if they respond!!]

Wasn't there once a major B&O "stop"/ticket office at Herald Square? (This
would be 19th century I think...)...The Erie's ,main one must have been at
that site where the Flat Iron Building is now...

Anyway, bus or ferry is the same (though I am not much of a fan of the bus),
and until that aforementioned ferry crash it was said that the B&O ran their
own ferry to Staten Island, maybe to Jersey City too from there (Whitehall
Street is next door to South Ferry), so this picture is probably of a
"portal" to the Royal Blue Line-though look carefully you may realize that
the B&O ferry if there was a ferry was maybe to the left entrance I think...

And yes there was ticket offices and pick-up points all over, but rarely
would there be one on the water if that railroad didn't have a passenger
presence/rationale there, so I can see little other reason that this would
be at the bottom of Manhattan-the tourists would be at Castle Clinton,
looking at the Statue of Liberty, as well...this part of town would seem
unlikely place to just put a ticket office/agent-either there was a ferry to
Communipaw at the time of this photo, or there was a connection at St.
George.

There,
Paul