Re: (rshsdepot) Re:SIRT

rshsdepot
The CNJ station that is in Communipaw was built far before 1920's...DL&W in
Hoboken with the upper deck ferry loading, the copper Victorian roof, and a
225 foot clock tower which fell down-I tried looking it up but the book is
very detailed and I haven't found when-20's or 30's maybe-the Hoboken
landmark went up 1907, where the immigrants docked was known as Immigrant's
Slip, I used incorrect name last time...

I don't have the right book to look up Liberty State Park Science Museum/CNJ
Communipaw, Jersey City B&O terminal, but it is a Victorian
Richardsonian-type ...and all the sites on the net I found that put a date
on it (and mentioned the architect I forget the name of) said it was
built/opened 1889.

[why would anyone send to Reply to All when if you send to RSHS List, if you
respond to any message from RSHS, it goes to all on the list?]

And here is a tidbit for any of you far way out there westerners: The
Lackawanna RR W.23rd  Street (Manhattan) Ferry Terminal also was sheathed in
copper with a (shorter) clock tower....And to complete the circle, (and to
please others I will modify the Subject heading), the 14th Street Crosstown
streetcar of the New York Railways terminated in a loop here, to the north
the Erie Pavonia Ferry ("electric ferries") ,to the south at a perpendicular
angle to the DL&W ferry building was the one for the CNJ for ferries to
Communipaw...I have great pictures of some of this in books....The CNJ ferry
was also for not only the B&O but the Reading too

Paul