From: mdelvec952_@_aol.com [mailto:mdelvec952@aol.com]
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2013 3:11 PM
To: erielack_@_lists.railfan.net; Tri-StateChapter@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: (erielack) NS 1074 Leaves Town

I regret falling asleep last night without posting something about today's
routine.  As Dan recorded, NS would run up light engine to pick up the 1074
and caboose, the 896 to be left in the wye at Denville, and 1074 continues
west to Washington with H-02. An extra from Allentown is to meet the 1074
and run it back light, so at 10 MPH those chasing the Old Road section of
the day should have some fun.

Meanwhile, the M&E left Rockaway with the 18 and two cabooses L&NE 580
and Raritan River 10, all properly oriented. They were going to Lake
Junction to do work and to run around the cabooses. On the way back to
Morristown the M&E plans to go into the wye at Denville to turn the two
caboose, and to not turn the previously turned Lackawanna caboose. Then, the
three cabooses and any freight cars would return to Morristown and then
Whippany. Turning them evens out the wheel wear and the fading of the paint.
The Lackawanna caboose was painted in 1999, 14 years ago.

This all may have happened by now, but the afternoon shots across Lake
Estling should have been terrific.

Many thanks to all involved in the past week's activities. There were many
heros, and all went off safely.  I really liked what has been happening in
Boonton -- the younger fans are regularly showing up and simply working on
stuff, both big projects and small.  Two years ago when our Santa Trains
passed by the site things looked pretty sad. Now there is so much equipment
painted that the story of railroading can begin to be told. Many groups and
individuals worked well to put together an event that looked great to those
not on the inside.  Congrats to all.

The three cabooses may be on the loose again in November for trips on the
Dover & Rockaway, so stay tuned.

Thanks, Dan, for posting your coverage of the 1074 departure, and to all who
were involved this past week

                ....Mike Del Vecchio