Re: (erielack) Steamtown Images--September 1

Don,

Lpke you, this is the area I am really familair with. The view of Clark
summit in C3242 to C3246 are really impressive and testimony to the DL&W;s
engineering of the cutoff. The view that in clude the old tower shows the
amount of elevation save by the cut seen at left.  The way DL&W routed coal
trains to Clarks Summit and Lehigh Summit from Hampton Yard without
obstructing traffic through Cayuga and Scranton is really impressive. From
the time I spent in east End tower I found that the depatcher notified
Bridge 60, Mattes St, and East End that a coal trains was leaving hampton
via doge's Cut off and the always set up the route though Scranton yard so
the heavy trains could cross bridge 60 on tack closes to the tower and so
not interfere with any switching operations at the end of the yard.

Far as I recall. all pusher and helper enginenes (including AB FT sets) had
to run backwards down to Scranton or Hampton.
Pondered for nany years why they didn't have a wye or turntable at Clarks
Summit but it became obvious there simply was no place to put one.

As I remember the "slow" track extended far out onto the fill beyond Clatks
summit with the trains stoping once the kead part of the train reached the
endof that track. Beleive there was spring switch there where ehad end heple
was cut of and then passed though the SS and backed down westbound main to
summit. Rear end pushers were back just past the tower so there was no need
to cut off on the fly.

Chuck Y
Boulder Co