(erielack) Aging, was: Paint schemes

The older you get, the faster it goes.  Just got my Medicare card...

I rode the recent M&E excursion and realized it had been 25 years since the "Garden State in '88" NRHS convention sponsored by Tri-State,the last time excursions ran on the LV route, though they missed the segment between Aldene and Bound Brook.  The last one over the Washington Secondary between P'burg and Hackettstown was Tri-State's trip to Jim Thorpe in 1984!

A trip ran to Rockport Rd more recently - May 1995, to honor the 70th anniversary of the DL&W wreck there - using the ex-CNW F7's in Lehigh Valley paint (done by Metro-North).

From my trip notes:
This train was named the Lehigh Valley Limited (sounds familiar?) even though it stayed on Erie and DLW track as reconnected:
- - Main Line to Kingsland, Passaic, Suffern.
- - Return to Ridgewood to dedicate the locomotives, with LV vets.
- - Return to West End via Main Line instead of Bergen County Line due to brush fire in the Meadows.
- - Round the wye at West End.
- - Photo stop at Benson St, Glen Ridge.
- - Non-stop run via Greenwood Lake Line/Boonton Line to Rockport Rd, two miles west of Hackettstown Station, to observe the wreck anniversary.
- - Photo stop at Free Trade Zone with rainbows from the fountains.
- - Return to Hoboken via Morristown, dropping passengers at several stations as we're over an hour late, running around the wye at West End again and backing into the terminal to properly position the cars for the next day's rush hour.

1995 - I thought it was at least five years later!

Gary R. Kazin
DL&W RR Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey